Starting in the 2019-2020 school year, the Kern High School District has employed Substance Abuse Specialists to provide a support system for students struggling with the use of alcohol and drugs. Substance Abuse Specialists are Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors assigned to comprehensive and continuation sites to work with site staff to serve those students in need. Our Substance Abuse Specialists help students develop social, communication, and emotional regulation skills to help manage risky situations that may lead to substance use or abuse.
Substance Abuse Specialists...
- work with Site Leadership and Intervention Teams to coordinate services within a Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) framework and Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) within the Kern High School District
- consult and collaborate with school personnel to promote a school environment responsive to the needs of students
- provide education and training services to students, staff and families focused on substance use and abuse
- identify issues, create goals, and treatment plans for students participating in individual or group counseling sessions
- teach students coping mechanisms
- help students towards meeting their academic goals
- provide individual and group counseling, when related to substance use
- refer students to support groups and outside agency resources when appropriate
- work with the social worker to work with the student on co-occurring disorders