Kern High School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu

School Social Work

School Social Work in Kern High School District is a specialized field of practice devoted to school-age students and families in an educational host environment. In most school settings, the School Social Workers wear many hats including truancy officer, case manager, student and parent advocate, student mediator, counselor, and distributor of resources and/or crisis intervention. 

Questions:  Please contact Kim Reynolds, Lead School Social Worker at (661) 827-3100 or email here 


  • Since 2015, the new role will serve on Tier II support teams (and Tier III)  for each campus, working with an administrator, school psychologist, and intervention personnel to provide necessary Tier II and Tier III supports for students and families, to include case management and more intense Tier III supports after an SST. 
  • School social work is a specialized area of practice within the broad field of the social work profession. 
  • School social workers bring unique knowledge and skills to the school system and the student services team. 
  • School Social Workers are trained mental health professionals who can assist with mental health concerns, behavioral concerns, positive behavioral support, academic and classroom support, consultation with teachers, parents and administrators as well as provide individual and group counseling/therapy.  
  • School social workers are instrumental in furthering the mission of the schools which is to provide a setting for teaching, learning, and for the attainment of competence and confidence. 
  • School social workers are hired by school districts to enhance the district's ability to meet its academic mission, especially where home, school and community collaboration is the key to achieving student success. 
  • Notice/Grievance Procedure:  If at any time you are dissatisfied with your treatment, please discuss your concerns with School Social Worker directly, as to resolve them. If there are ever any serious concerns that are not resolved, you may contact KHSD Human Resources or Student Behavior & Supports administration at (661) 827-3100 and ask for Cy Silver or Brian Mendiburu. Additionally, as required by AB 630 in California, the Board of Behavioral Sciences receives and responds to complaints regarding services provided within the scope of practice of (marriage and family therapists, licensed educational psychologists, clinical social workers, or professional clinical counselors). You may contact the board online at, or by calling (916) 574-7830.