Human Resources » Job Opportunities » Certificated (Teaching) Substitute Information

Certificated (Teaching) Substitute Information

Certificated Substitute:

Applicants must start with Kern County Superintendent of Schools (KCSOS).  Individuals interested in substitute teaching in Kern County must apply for the appropriate permit directly through KCSOS Credential Services.  KCSOS Credential Services Department helps process applications for substitute teacher permits, authorizing substitute teaching services for K-12 public schools in California. The appropriate permit and clearance will be provided directly through KCSOS Credential Services.


Please start your process here: 

Kern County Superintendent of Schools

1300 17th St, Bakersfield, CA 93301



Live Scan Fingerprint clearance through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is required from every applicant for any credential, permit, or certificate. For privacy protection, fingerprints are not transferrable/shared between agencies.

Appointment Scheduling Fingerprinting is by appointment only and can be made online with Kern County Superintendent of Schools Human Resources website:;

Tuberculosis Examinations Freedom from active tuberculosis (TB) is required for employment in a California school district. The Credentials Office at the Kern County Superintendent of Schools must receive verification of TB clearance at the time of employment and every four (4) years thereafter.

Medical Examination Education Code Section 44839 requires a person employed in a certificated position for the first time in a California school district or county superintendent of schools office to undergo a physical examination to determine freedom from any disabling disease unfitting the person to instruct or associate with children.

Submit all cleared KCSOS documents upon applying for a KHSD Substitute Teacher position.

E-mail [email protected] to determine your eligibility as a substitute teacher

Kern High Potential Certificated Substitutes:

After KCSOS complete their process please complete the KHSD Online application for certificated substitutes.

Click this link

Required sub documents for KCSOS and KHSD:



DOJ County Clearance, CCTC 30 Day Permit, 1st Time Physical, and TB Test



Application (online)/*Payroll Packet (*onboarding packet via DocuSign)

Driver License and Social Security Card

Official Transcripts showing degree BA/BS

CBEST/or ACT/SAT (recommended not required)

Compliance Training (KHSD)


You will need to bring in your CA Valid ID/DL, Social Security Card in order to begin the onboarding process.