Human Resources » Complaints Process » Uniform Complaint Procedures

Uniform Complaint Procedures

The UCP process may be used to report a failure to comply with applicable state and federal laws and regulations; file complaints alleging discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying; unauthorized charging of pupil fees for educational activities; failure to comply with education provisions for students in foster care and students who are homeless; courses without educational content and previously completed/graded courses sufficient for satisfying requirements/prerequisites for post-secondary education and receipt of a diploma, except under specified conditions; failure to reasonably accommodate lactating students; and/or alleging failure to comply with legal requirements under the Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP).

Complainants are encouraged to attempt resolution of their complaints directly at the school site or work site, if possible. Complainants should contact the principal or lead administrator at the school site or work location to make a complaint or discuss a concern. 

Any individual, public agency, or organization may file a written complaint alleging a matter which, if true, would constitute a violation by the District of federal or state laws or regulations governing the programs and activities as well as allegations of unlawful discrimination identified above. UCP complaints are to be submitted in writing to:

Kern High School District Equity Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Dean Juola
5801 Sundale Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93309

Any individual with a disability or who is unable to prepare a written complaint can receive assistance from the District by calling Dean Juola, Equity Compliance/Title IX Coordinator, at (661) 827-3173.

In the investigation of complaints, the District assures confidentiality to the maximum extent possible.  The District prohibits retaliation against anyone who files a complaint or anyone who participates in the complaint investigation process.  Complainants are advised that civil law remedies may also be available to them.

Board Policy and Administrative Regulation