Educational Services and Innovative Programs Division » Dual Enrollment » FAQ


What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment is when a student takes a high school course, and in addition to earning high school credit, is also earning college credit.  In order for the course to receive Dual Enrollment credit, the following must occur: 

  • The high school instructor of the course must meet the minimum qualifications to teach the same course at the community college level
  • The course follows the college Course Outline of Record
  • The student is able to meet the rigors and expectations of a college course

What Dual Enrollment courses are available?

Currently through the KHSD, general education and Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses are offered at various high school sites.  In the Spring of 2021, 23 school sites were offering over 200 sections of dual enrolled courses. To obtain more information on your school’s Dual Enrollment opportunities, please visit your counselor and/or Assistant Principal of Instruction.  You can also visit the Bakersfield College Early College website to see which courses are being offered at each site in the Kern High School District: 

What are the benefits of Dual Enrollment?

Students have the opportunity to begin taking college courses, earning grades on a college transcript, while taking their high school course that has been aligned to a respective college course.  Whether the Dual Enrollment course is within a CTE pathway or suffices for a general education requirement, students can shorten their time in college while earning college credits during their high school years.  Additionally, Dual Enrollment courses provide a cost savings to the student and families.  For a course through a Kern Community College District school (e.g. Bakersfield College, Cerro Coso College, or Porterville College), there are no fees.  For courses through CSUB, there is a minimal $36 administrative fee per course.  As college costs continue to rise, making it difficult to afford, Dual Enrollment provides equitable access to college for little to no cost. 


Can Dual Enrollment have a negative impact?

If a student is enrolled in a Dual Enrollment course, he/she must adhere to all of the college and university policies and procedures.  To this end, if the student is doing poorly in class or is no longer is the class, it is imperative that the student drop themselves through the college portal.  A critical aspect of college is knowing the important dates of which to drop from the classes.  If a student drops prior to receiving a Withdrawal (before a W appears on transcript), there is no record of the student having been enrolled in the course.  This is preferred if the student is not performing well or no longer in the class.  If a student remains in the class after the last day to drop, the grade that is earned by the end of the term is the grade that is placed on the official college transcript, good or otherwise.  This is the possible negative impact Dual Enrollment can have.  It is of the utmost importance to be aware of one’s academic standing in a Dual Enrollment class so only desirable grades are placed on the college transcript.  By excelling in the class or dropping the course prior to the important dates, a student can avoid the possible negative impact of a poor grade on his/her college transcript.  Please see important dates in the Dual Enrollment Resources section.

How does a Dual Enrollment course appear on transcripts?

Because Dual Enrollment allows for credit to be given simultaneously with high school and college, credits will appear on both the high school transcript, as well as the college transcript.  For example, if a student is taking senior high school English and that course is aligned to Bakersfield College’s English course, the high school transcript would show the high school English course (e.g. English 12 Honors – 5 credits per semester) and the college transcript would show the college English (e.g. ENGL B1A – 3 credits).  Having the course transcribed with the grade and credit on a college transcript is an additional benefit of Dual Enrollment.  When either an articulated credit or Advanced Placement (AP) course is given college credit, it will state "credit by exam" and will not issue a grade.  Receiving college credit in this manner is beneficial; however, receiving college credit that displays the course and grade is optimal.  Receiving credit through Dual Enrollment is more recognizable in regards to transferable credits to other colleges and universities.        


How do I enroll in a Dual Enrollment course?

Students must speak with their counselor and/or Assistant Principal of Instruction to see what Dual Enrollment courses are available at their school.  Once it is determined the student is in a course that can receive Dual Enrollment credit, he/she must go through the process of enrolling as a college student.  The teacher of the Dual Enrollment class will assist the student in working through the enrollment processes.