Kern High School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Instruction Division » Instruction Home » AB-104 Information UPDATE

AB-104 Information UPDATE

On July 1, 2021, Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 into law.  It identified three measures that the Kern High School District would implement to better support and prepare students for graduation. They are outlined below:



Parents, guardians, and/or education rights holders may request to have a letter grade received during the 2020-2021 school year changed to Pass/No Pass on the student’s transcript.  If requested, there is no limit to the number or type of courses eligible for a grade change.  These changes will not negatively impact the student’s grade point average or entitlement to state or institutional financial aid.  Click this link to view the list of postsecondary institutions that will accept the amended transcripts.


Use the grade change application linked below to submit the request to your student’s high school. A late extension was granted by the legislature so the final deadline to submit grade change applications to your school office is now Friday, October, 2021.


Grade change form link here – English

Grade change form link here – Spanish



For students in grades 9-11 during the 2020-2021 school year, parents, guardians and/or education rights holders may request in writing that their eligible student(s) be evaluated for retention in their 2020-2021 grade for the 2021-2022 school year.  An eligible student is defined as one who earned D’s or F’s in at least half of their classes during the 2020-2021 school year. 


To request that an eligible student is evaluated, submit a written request to the student’s high school counselor.  Once the written request is received, the school will arrange a consultation within 30 calendar days between school personnel and the education rights holder, to determine if retention is appropriate for the student. 



Students in the graduating classes of 2021 and 2022 who are not on track to graduate may be granted a high school diploma based on the State Minimum Requirements, once all options to meet the Kern High School District Graduation Requirements have been exhausted.  Multiple interventions and supports will be implemented to address credit recovery options, including a possible 5th year of study to help students meet the district graduation requirements first.  Eligible students, parents, guardians and/or education rights holders will be contacted by the student’s high school counselor.


Please contact your student’s school with any additional questions.