Kern High School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Kern High Activities & Athletics
Business Division » Food Services » Special Meal Accommodations

Special Meal Accommodations

Federal legislation and regulations are in place to ensure that children with disabilities have the same opportunities as other children. This includes education and education-related benefits, such as school meals. The USDA requires that a written medical statement be completed to ensure that a child’s modified meal is reimbursable, and that any meal modifications meet nutrition standards that are medically appropriate.

Meal substitutions or modifications for children with disabilities must be based on a medical statement request form signed by a state licensed healthcare professional: licensed physicians, physician assistants, or nurse practitioners. The Medical Statement must include information about the child's physical or mental impairment that is sufficient to understand how it restricts the child's diet, an explanation of what must be done to accommodate the child, and the food or foods to be omitted and recommended alternatives, if appropriate.

Medical Statement Requests for Special Meal Accommodations can be obtained from the Kern High School District Office, or from the California Department of Education (CDE) website, or by clicking on the link below. Once completed, contact your child's school site Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Section 504 Coordinator for instructions on getting the form submitted.